Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Recent Happenings...

Mckinley getting ready to go into her class!
Chris and Mckinley getting ready to eat Thai Pepper!
Our little peanut getting ready for her ride home!
Leaving the hospital!


So much has happened since my last post! Wow!!

The last post attempt (which includes only a title) is in reference to the fact that Mckinley started Parent's Day Out this summer. My title was going to say "Parent's Day Out is not supposed to equal sleep deprivation." But it did. Not for Mckinley. But for me.

The first few times were really rough for both of us. She cried so hard on the way to school. Then she went through every member of our family that she thought would come to her rescue. She would yell out "I need Gigi, I need Grammy, I need,"..well, you get the picture. Her "school" as she calls is, took a two week break in between the summer and fall session. This week she started back, and she was not too thrilled. However, I am in need of a break because of the newest addition to our family.

Charis was not supposed to arrive until September 3, 2009. However, she is already showing us that she has a mind of her own. On August 10, 2009, I started having really bad contractions. I didn't really think much of it since I had all ready had experienced this during my pregnancy. It was around 11:00 a.m., and Chris and Mckinley were both requesting ice cream (from two different places.) Chris had a legitimate reason for wanting a milkshake because he had three teeth filled that morning (communication was definitely interesting;)). So, we all piled in the car, and drove to ChicFilA and Sheridan's House (as Mckinley calls it...she really thinks a girl named Sheridan lives there and makes all the frozen custard!). On the way home, I could hardly drive because I was in so much pain. I came home and called the doctor. I had to leave a message. I waited for a hour, and didn't hear anything. At that point, I felt like a bomb had gone off in my stomach. Chris talked me in to going to the hospital, so we grabbed a few things and left. The only thing I remember about the car ride is waiting at a light at the Marsha Sharp Freeway for approximately 92 minutes, and the fact that we parked in the wrong place so I had to walk at least a mile to get to the Family Birthing Center. Lovely. We got checked in, and they hooked me up to some machines. We then found out that I was having contractions every three minutes.

After about 12 hours of labor, I was finally wheeled into the O.R. for a c-section. Chris and I were both excited and nervous. Charis arrived at 11:18 p.m.. She was 4pounds and 11oz, and 17 and half inches long. She was immediately rushed to NICU because she was not breathing properly. After two long weeks in the NICU, we finally got to bring our sweet baby home. I could not be more thankful for the Lord's great faithfulness through this entire experience. There were times during the past two weeks that both Chris and I were reminded that we are not in control of our life. While our daughter was in great hands with doctors and nurses, we knew that the only one who could see us through this time was our Heavenly Father. We prayed, and we asked others to pray. Now, thanks to answered prayers, we are home as a family of four. I couldn't be more excited and blessed.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Praise the Lord for His provision! I'm so happy to see you are doing well and are home with your whole family now! Can't wait to hear more stories about your sweet daughters and all the fun things they will put you through. Hahaha!

Mrs. Ventrca said...

Baby Charis is so tiny and precious! Thank you Jesus for wrapping your hands around this sweet family!

How is McKinley doing with her new baby sister? I bet she will be great with her :)

I teach MDO twice a week...rest assured that once the parents leave, the kids are FINE!! I promise that it is probably harder on you than on McKinley :)

Congrats on your newest addition!

KimBeau Hughes said...

Em, I am so excited Charis is finally home! Beau and I have prayed like crazy and now are praising the Lord big time! I can't imagine how you must be learning to trust Him. I love you, sister, and can't wait to meet my new little niece. Let's meet at the lake soon after Haddon is born and let them meet each other. :)